Old Doms Talking
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springhill CC

+2
rolex
Steve M
6 posters

Go down

Springhill CC Empty Springhill CC

Post  Steve M Mon May 24, 2010 3:21 am

Great performance yesterday by the team. I have just read the roving reporters excellent article and feel compelled to congratulate him on his nomination for Man of the Match. Whilst Tom will no doubt take the plaudits for an excellent all round performance it is always nice to see the players who lay the foundations, who make it possible for the stars to shine, getting what they deserve - and nobody deserves to get what's coming to them more than Lasty and Rolex!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

p.s. Don't beat yourself up over the dropped catch Al - sun in the eyes mate Rolling Eyes
Steve M
Steve M

Back to top Go down

Springhill CC Empty Springhill

Post  rolex Tue May 25, 2010 11:08 am

I'm wondering if there's been some censorship of the forum post after the Springhill match.

As I saw it there was an edge coming down the hill (which although it came from my bowling, could have come from anybody's), which was held behind the stumps. I essentially ran to congratulate the keeper as there wasn't any issue about whether or not the batsman had hit the ball or not. The batsman decided not to walk - which in itself wasn't good sportsmanship because he would have known better than anyone that he edged the ball. It's a shame he felt the need to cheat.

I appealed, and if I remember correctly, as I reminded the umpire (who happened to be their captain....), that the batsman had hit the ball, he said something like 'I'm not f*****g giving it out because you lot never gave us one when she hit it. He didn't f*****g hit it'. Stunned into submission by the umpire's fabulous vocabulary, I laughed. Steve did a good but unneccessary job in calming him down - if a player is determined to cheat in a way which can significantly blight the match and effect the result, or has the potential to do so, then I'm not sure that even the most gracious captain (which Steve proved himself to be again), should extend grace beyond grace in order to keep the match going. Later on I spoke with (I think his name was) 'Dane'? Who said he was embarassed by the whole episode and thought that tit for tat umpring was 'f*****g stupid'. A couple of their lads also felt the same.

Sadly for me the game will be remembered for this rather pathetic episode from a man who we would all imagine might have known a bit better to be honest. I found him to be rather pathetic, and I was ashamed to be on the same pitch. In the words of Ron Atkinson when speaking about referees, "I've never made a publicly detremental comment about umpires, and I'm not going to start with that Nobhead". Sorry Springfield Captain, but you let your team down and the game down, and that's pretty sad really.

rolex

Back to top Go down

Springhill CC Empty Re: Springhill CC

Post  Steve M Tue May 25, 2010 11:53 am

No censorship on this forum Rob, just the normal Doms apathy setting in. Its about this time of the season that the novelty wears off and nobody can be bothered to contribute. Lasty can bang on about a crap cricket tea for months but, in the main, the Doms are pretty good at leaving anything that happens during a match on the pitch where it belongs. (WMD apart) Very Happy

To the incident in question the lad clearly edged the ball (more about that later) and we were obviously disappointed that we didn't get the decision but some of the comments from around the field were out of order.

They were equally convinced that Tom had got an edge early in his innings and it has to be said that the immediate reaction of their players was alot more grown up than ours. Mark, who was umpiring at the time, wasn't subject to the same sort of pressure. If Tom hadn't gone on to get such a huge score it would have been soon forgotten.

I went to speak to their umpire because i was unhappy with something he said. He had clearly lost his composure momentarily but i was happy with his explanation.

He spoke to me after the game and apologised for the behaviour of his batsman. He had admitted afterwards that he had indeed hit the ball and had not walked because he felt Tom hadn't done so earlier.

We have played this team on a number of occasions now without incident and the Captain has always been a friendly bloke who plays the game in the right spirit and who enjoys a pint with us afterwards. Always happy to discuss anything in the broad coalition that is Old Doms CC but i vote we let this one go Smile
Steve M
Steve M

Back to top Go down

Springhill CC Empty There is censorship.....

Post  admin Tue May 25, 2010 12:30 pm

available by me the Adminstrator. Ive had to delete a long "confession" from Tank who openly admitted the edge took a large chunk off the edge of his bat. Apparently he did'nt walk because he is the Head of Year at school and the Head of Year is always right and should always be given a second chance. He is more mortified at being rejected by Capello but given his ball skills in the short "scouting" video one can understand why they picked Donkey Heskey in preference to Tank.

So not to make matter worse I decided to delete Tanks untimely confession.

Yours everso concerned.

The Administrator... No
admin
admin
Admin

https://olddomstalking.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Springhill CC Empty Well I never...

Post  Wear the Helmet Tue May 25, 2010 12:37 pm

thought we would get any censorship on these pages - who the hell does this so called "Administrator" get his powers from?

In regards to the match, leaving out the "bother" I thought it was an ok match that we always looked the stronger side more likely to win, particularly the way the opening pair laid the foundation for others to latch onto and garner all the plaudits. I've alway thought they were always a good bunch of lads. Perhaps they should'nt have let the one decision get in the way of fairness - I walked without any bother although Kman said he did'nt hear anything and if I had not gone he would'nt have given me out. Not sure how Mark saw Tanks episode.

Still that match has gone and we look forward now to Thursdays slog with SOH.

clown
Wear the Helmet
Wear the Helmet

http://www.olddoms.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Springhill CC Empty Umpires Decision

Post  Pedro Tue May 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Having watched and read the thread with intrigue, i thought it was only fair that i weighed in with my two pennies worth, after i was the "offending" umpire. In terms of the edge that never was, it was exactly that. There was a noise and quite rightly the opposition appealed. However the noise was in fact Toms bat hitting the ground and not his bat hitting the ball. There was no deviation on the ball and the sound came slightly after the ball had past the bat. The bowler enquired as to why it was not out and i tried to explain, but once he heard "didn't hit it", he walked off muttering under his breath. He was a young lad so i could understand his disappointment and refusal to listen to the response. After the over, i was umpiring at square leg with Taz (their Asian player) and he too thought it was not out as well. At no point did Tony (their captain) come over and ask for an explanation.

Tony is normally a top bloke as Steve has already stated and had a moment, to which we can forgive. Over the last couple of seasons we have a few issues with this side, but i think it is down to over competiveness rather than malice. Hopefully when we go to their place it will be played in the true spirit and no grudges will be held by their players.
Pedro
Pedro

Back to top Go down

Springhill CC Empty Umpiring and the like

Post  rolex Wed May 26, 2010 1:53 am

No problem wih letting it go Steve, but I recall another unsavoury incident against Springhill at their place where Chick took a catch after juggling and their umpire didn't give it....I seem to recall it being a fairly tense affair over there place (once I eventually found it).

I didn't see or hear Tom's edge as I wasn't looking so can't really comment, though I don't know why the administrator deleted Tom's post? If Tom said he hit it, then he hit it and Mark was wrong, even though it really doesn't matter now.

My issue was with their umpire and the silly tit for tat stuff, it just spoiled a good game, and there was no need for it. That guy that was out should have walked and will be remembered as a muppet for doing so.

Next match please.

rolex

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve M Wed May 26, 2010 2:37 am

I had forgotten about 'jugglegate'! I only have a small brain so i have to throw alot of stuff out to make way for the new crap!
Was that the same game that Chicken dislocated his little finger and had to be given the kiss of life lol!
Steve M
Steve M

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Wed May 26, 2010 4:31 am

Indeed it was he same game and it was off my bowling that the offence happened!!
Pedro
Pedro

Back to top Go down

Springhill CC Empty I CAUGHT IT!!!!!!!!!

Post  Pouletpoulet Wed May 26, 2010 5:00 am

I did!!!!!!! The Ball did not touch the ground, and yes I did dislocate my finger. And the a kiss from a loved one is scientifically proven to increase the serotonin levels in your body which then inhibits the pain receptors, therefore curing me and enabling me to put in an almost match winning performance with steve, against as I recall their International world class spinner who bowled an extra over (in the dark)!!!!
Pouletpoulet
Pouletpoulet

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve M Wed May 26, 2010 8:40 am

Yes i suppose it was kind of Mark but there was no need for tongues Shocked
Steve M
Steve M

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content